Journey to Success
Welcome to Capitol Clubhouse
Capitol Clubhouse is a vocational program for adults with mental illness located in Augusta, Maine. We provide a non-clinical environment organized to support members with employment, education, wellness and social opportunities.
Membership leads to continued growth, increased self- esteem, increased self-confidence and a sense of empowerment. All members are treated with dignity and respect.
Capitol Clubhouse is proudly accredited through Clubhouse International.
Our Mission is to improve the quality of life for people who experience the effects of mental illness by providing a variety of opportunities for personal growth.
Our vision is that people with mental illness live a fulfilling life and are respected as co-workers, neighbors and friends.
What is a Clubhouse?
Clubhouses are a global community of adults with mental illness working towards a common goal of recovery. There are more than 300 Clubhouses worldwide structured on the Clubhouse Model of Rehabilitation. The voluntary nature of the Clubhouse provides flexibility for members to work on goals in a supportive environment as they explore employment, education, wellness and social opportunities.
Clubhouses are built upon the belief that every member can recover from the effects of mental illness and lead personally satisfying lives. This is achieved through a structured environment, work and meaningful relationships.
Clubhouse communities are dedicated to one another’s success, no matter how long or difficult that process may be. Members are wanted, needed and encouraged by the Clubhouse community and participation is essential to the functioning of the Clubhouse.
Membership is voluntary and lasts a lifetime.
Clubhouse International accredited Clubhouses powerfully demonstrate that people with mental illness can lead productive and satisfying lives by offering the following:
- a work-ordered day in which the talents and abilities of members are recognized and encouraged
- participation in consensus-based decision making regarding all important matters relating to the running of the Clubhouse
- opportunities to obtain paid employment in mainstream businesses and industries through Transitional Employment, Group Placements, Supported Employment and Independent Employment programs
- assistance in accessing medical, psychological, substance abuse, wellness, and other community support resources
- access to crisis intervention services when needed
- evening/weekend social and recreational events
- assistance in securing and sustaining safe, decent and affordable housing